Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: what are you reading right now?

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner SPYDERLUV's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    902
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    i know this has been done before, but i think it was lost when hb crashed.

    but here goes.


    what i have been reading.

    fierce invalids home from hot climates.

    by tom robbins.

    this will be the 3rd robbins book i have read. I was introduced to his books by a friend at work, who pointed out to me that one of the lead characters in a book called "jitterbug perfume, was named lefever, which is very similar to my last name. i must say the "fierce invalids home from hot climates is my favorite book of his so far. check it out sometime.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Whyatt Thrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 1999
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't read for wuite some time, been lazy and using the portable cd-player while commuting instead. So just yesterday I started on the third jean m auel novel, "valley of the horses" or something something... "Mad"? "Don't mind if I do!"

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Manga's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2000
    Posts
    378
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been reading a lot but it's all for school, a lot of articles for my 'new media & digital culture' class, some of which is online and some of which from a reader. A book that came along with said course called "Remediation".

    And then a sylabus and a book on theatre history from the Greeks up untill the 19th century for another class.

    I'm also reading "Media Virus" by Douglas Rushkoff, but that's been on hold since about a week cause my other classes are swamping me and I don't really need to read that book till next year.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Branflakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    2,290
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm currently reading The Lord of The Rings, and Stephen King's collection, Everything's Eventual.

    Recently read "What We Keep", by Elizabeth Berg. A good easy read about a daughter that hasn't seen her mother in over 30 years.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner SPYDERLUV's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    902
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    good good

    Lord of the Rings is an excellent trilogy

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner JaceSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,898
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm going to try and read Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter next, along with the required reading for the class I'm taking this summer.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Whyatt Thrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 1999
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JaceSan:
    I'm going to try and read Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter next, along with the required reading for the class I'm taking this summer.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I liked that one, you'll get through it in a jiffy. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner JaceSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,898
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    She's an excellent author. I've found each of her novels gets progressively better. The Joy Luck Club had a few too many characters to keep all the story lines straight. The Hundred Secret Senses was fantastic. She actually spoke at this years commencement where I'm going to school. I would have gone, but parking's such a bitch when everyone's graduating down there.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Whyatt Thrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 1999
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JaceSan:
    I would have gone, but parking's such a bitch when everyone's graduating down there.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    You ever tried walking? Taking the bus? [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    I've only read this one of her novels, but I've understood she's done some pretty good stuff. When I buy books I just go over to "new" and pick what I like, or browse the shelves for covers & names I like. I very seldom pick a boring or uninteresting book though, so my method must work. =)

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Manga's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2000
    Posts
    378
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And they say you can't judge a book by it's cover! HA! I have the same strategy Whyatt, I just scan whatever's there.. I'm usually in the English section. I know there's some classics I'd rather read in Dutch but in general in the library I go straight for the new books and see what's cooking there or I head off into the maze of English books and just pick something that looks good.

    Of course I only take it home after reading the back and making sure that it also sounds good.

    Can't wait for my vacation to start, then I'll have time to read again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •